Each athlete is required to have passed the Tennessee Hunter Safety Class. This is a requirement to be able to register for the team. Unaka Rod and Gun Club has a classes available throughout the year.
Each athlete is required by the TNSCTP to shoot 600 rounds before being allowed to participate in the State Tournament in Nashville, TN. Each athlete is also required to participate in the Regional Tournament to qualify for the state tournament.
Team Code of Conduct (the UNAKA WAY)
- Be a leader
- Be an encouraging teammate
- Be humble (Even on a perfect day)
- No food / drinks / cell phones / other distractions on the field (Just your undivided attention)
- Always wash your hands
- Safety First and always
- Emotion of the field only creates distraction for others.
- If Athletes are called out for by their coaches or parent volunteers for (not paying attention, being reckless, showing a poor attitude, being disrespectful, etc. ) They will be given 1-2 warnings and then asked to sit out. If this behavior continues in competition or consistently in practice they will be asked to no longer be part of the team.
- Use everyone’s shot as the opportunity to learn so pay attention when someone else is up to shoot and learn from their coaching as well
- We are all committed to the success of the individual athlete but more the success of the Team.
- Leave the field better than when you arrived in attitude, respect, sportsmanship, and cleanliness (we don't leave our shells on the ground)
Athletes need various equipment and supplies to participate on a team. Some are common items that may be purchased at a local sporting goods store, such as Academy Sports + Outdoors. As with most sports, athlete build, preference, and budget may be factors that influence the type and cost of equipment. Please see a coach if you have additional questions.
The checklist below list equipment needs for each discipline.
Basic Equipment List:
- Shotgun (12 gauge or 20 gauge)
- Chokes (see image below of standard chokes and their shot patterns)
- Improved cylinder
- Skeet (x2 if shooting over/under)
- Several other custom chokes
- Choke wrench
- Safety glasses (If prescription glasses are worn when shooting, those meet this requirement.)
- Hearing protection, either ear plugs or muffs
- Noise reduction rating of at least 25 dB
- If using foam earplugs, proper insertion is essential. Learn more here.
- Range bag
- Shooting towel
- Shooting vest and/or Shooting pouch
- Firearm cleaning supplies
- Bore snake
- Cleaning rod
- Extra rags
All ammunition purchased is a personal preference. You can purchase ammunition from 7.5 shot to 9 shot in the gauge required. Please by lead shot and not steel shot.
The more powerful the shell doesn't typically represent better. If you are shooting 100 rounds the faster more powerful shells will wear you out faster.
For skeet we would recommend slower FPS 1000-1200 and 8 shot (more common) to 9 shot
For trap we would recommend a slightly faster FPS 1140-1300 and 7.5 shot to 8 shot